Tuesday, January 27, 2015

What's new in 2015?

Well, what's new? A new hip that's what! For about 4 years, I've had pain in my left hip. It started out as kind of a burning, miserable sensation and progressively got worse.  I went to my favorite Chiropractor for a while, he was able to help through some manipulation and therapy.  One day, I wanted to hit him when he told me that I had less mobility in that hip than his 80 year old patient did! It wasn't a very nice thing to hear, but it was true.  

In April 2013, I had an x-ray that revealed quite a bit of arthritis and bursitis in the left hip.  I had 3 steroid injections that would help for a little while. The Dr. told me that I would know when I couldn't take it anymore and that it was time for a total hip replacement surgery.  As 2014 went on, I could tell that I wouldn't be able to take it much longer.  My left leg was about an inch shorter and it really was painful to walk! We decided that I would have the surgery in January due to a huge deductible that we only wanted to pay once.  

I went to Dr. West in Idaho Falls on Jan, 6th.  This time the x-ray showed bone on bone, the hip was very damaged.  We scheduled the surgery for the next Monday, Jan.12th. They took away my arthritis drugs because they are also blood thinners, it was a very long 6 days! I was hurting so bad, and the hip felt like it was not stable enough to hold me up.

So, Monday morning Blake left really early for Mountain View Hospital to work, so Randy came and picked me up at 5:00 and we headed for Mountain View.  I got all checked in and prepped for surgery.  Everything went really well! Dr. West does what is called an anterior hip replacement approach.  He told Blake afterward that my hip was ugly, and that he didn't know how I had kept going as long as I had. 

Thank goodness, this is the only picture of me while I was in the hospital! This is my new hip!

About 5 hours after surgery, they came in and told me they wanted me to try to walk.  I was really light headed and dizzy, but still stood up and took about 5 steps. I couldn't believe how stable my hip felt, and it didn't really hurt!

I stayed in the hospital until Thursday. I had physical therapy twice each day, and got so I could walk quite far, using a walker. I was still amazed at how stable my hip felt! They told me to use the walker for stability at home.  It was so fun to walk without limping! My legs are the same length now!  I've spent a lot of time in the recliner because I tend to run out of gas easily, but for the most part the recovery has been very easy.  I went back to the Dr. on the 22nd, I asked him when I could ditch the walker, and he told me that as soon as I could lay on a bed and lift my left leg straight up at least 8 inches above the bed 10 times. I told him that I was doing that in the hospital and had done it every day since I came home.  So, I have been walkerless since then! 

So far, I am very pleased with the results! I plan to be able to keep up with all my grandkids this summer!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

That's awesome everything is going so well. So glad it doesn't hurt and you're mobile again.